FULFILL to HOST HUNGER ACTION FAMILY DAY to kick off National Hunger Action Month on September 5, 2017 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Help needed to assemble 500 healthy Kids “snack packs” for start of School – Please bring non-perishable food donations for S.O.S. (Stuff Our Silo) Food Drive
August 2017, Neptune, NJ: Fulfill (formerly The FoodBank of Monmouth & Ocean Counties) will host a special HUNGER ACTION FAMILY Event full of service and fun on Tuesday, September 5th during an OPEN HOUSE from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Activities will include: kids’ crafts, carnival games, family tours, garden activities, concert ticket and event giveaways with local DJs, Fruit Smoothies, WindMill Hot Dogs, selfie station, ice cream, and an S.O.S. (Stuff Our Silo) Food and Fund Drive. During the open house, kids and volunteers can help assemble 500 healthy “snack packs” that will be going to students in after school programs throughout the month of September. Kids will also receive special cow banks while supplies last, so they can learn how they can help kids in need. Visiting families are encouraged to bring a bag of nonperishable food and to wear closed toe shoes if participating. Fulfill is located at 3300 Route 66 in Neptune.
Fulfill, a member of the Feeding America® nationwide network of food banks, observes Hunger Action Month™ – a nationwide initiative designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger during the month of September. Hunger advocates from Monmouth and Ocean counties and across the country are working together to shine a light on the issue of hunger in America and in our community where we serve more than 132,000 people in Monmouth and Ocean counties, including 40,000 children.
“Here at Fulfill, we love Hunger Action Family Day because it is a great way for children to learn how they can participate and help neighbors who struggle with food insecurity. Kids can learn to conduct their own fundraisers to build awareness of hunger in our community, or get their schools involved in the Students Change Hunger competition. We serve 132,000 people in Monmouth and Ocean Counties, and 40,000 of them are children. Most of the families and individuals who are affected by chronic hunger have fallen on hard times due to job loss, illness, or were displaced from their storm damaged homes. We offer many programs and resources to help them get past difficult circumstances. Hunger Action Day is a great way for everyone to visit Fulfill and learn more about how they can be part of the solution,” said Carlos Rodriguez, Executive Director.
Download HUNGER ACTION FAMILY DAY flyer
Download HUNGER ACTION MONTH Calendar
How you can help:
- Attend Hunger Action Day Open House on September 5, 2017 at Fulfill
- Participate in the S.O.S. (Stuff Our Silo) Food Drive (bring a bag of nonperishable food)
- Visit our website (www.fulfillnj.org) to Donate, Volunteer, Get Help, Get Involved
- Be a Stop Hunger advocate – Contact your Congressman or just share our social media posts with your network on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and SnapChat
HUNGRY for the FACTS? Some of them may surprise you.
In Monmouth and Ocean Counties:
- Fulfill provides food and services to a network of over 300 feeding programs and serves more than 132,000 people
- 1 in 10 people are food insecure
- 1 in 5 are children
- 97% of client households reside in permanent housing, such as a house or apartment
- 78% report having to choose between paying for groceries or paying for housing
- 69% of adult clients have a post high school education
- 85% of all households have incomes less than $30,000 annually
- 58% of households have the breadwinner working part-time
- 78% report purchasing inexpensive, unhealthy food, and 46% water down food and drinks to make them last
- 44% of households use food stamps; among those who don’t, an estimated 82% are income-eligible